Caprese salad is so easy to put together and is so refreshing in the summer. When you have an abundance of juicy ripe tomatoes in the summer this is a great way to use them and serve as an appetizer, as a side, or just for snack. I’ve been loving the heirloom tomatoes this summer, they taste amazing and fresh from the garden which is how I remember eating tomatoes as a kid. They’re a bit pricey, but give them a try, you’ll be happy you did.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serves: More tomatoes more servings! I use one tomato and ¼ log of mozzarella to serve 2
Balsamic Glaze (you can make your own balsamic reduction or just buy the glaze at the store)
Make it your own: Add a slice of prosciutto for some extra meat and salt! Or put your caprese right on top of some grilled chicken for a fresh summertime meal!
- Slice tomato in thick slices and place on plate.
- Add a piece of prosciutto on top of the tomato, if desired.
- Slice mozzarella in thick slices similar in size to the tomato slices.
- Lay mozzarella slices on top of the tomato slices
- Place a basil leaf on top of each slice of cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Bon appétit!
Tip: Grow your own basil! I’ll be the first to admit, I can’t even keep a cactus alive…but I bought a pot of basil at Whole Foods and it has been doing great. I keep the little guy on my porch and make sure it is in the sun when I’m home. It’s a great to have on hand for caprese salads, pizza, sauce, and even lemonade.