As summer comes to an end I am trying to find as many recipes as I can to use up my basil. For me, basil reminds me of summer and I want to hold on to that all year long! These basil bombs will keep your fresh basil all year long and all you have to do is throw them in a sauce, soup, or use them as pesto starter when your basil plant is no longer flourishing during the cold months. This is a great way to preserve any fresh herb, so use these same directions for any herbs in your garden.
Serves: Makes 12-16 cubes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
⅓ cup water or oil
Make it your own: Try combining different herbs you use often. I made some basil bombs with a mixture of green and purple basil for a sweeter, more licorice flavor.
- Combine ingredients in a food processor.
- Process on low for 1-2 minutes or until leaves are finely chopped and a pasty consistency.
- Spoon mixture into an ice cube mold.
- Freeze overnight.
- Remove cubes from tray and store in a container or baggie.
- Each cube is about 1 tablespoon of fresh basil. Add to soups, sauces, or use as pesto starters.
Tip: Try this method with any fresh herbs you are growing!